[XeTeX] longtable and RTL (Arabic)

Persian TeX Group persian-tex at tug.org
Wed May 1 02:34:00 CEST 2013

with bidi, you have three kind of footnotes \footnote, \LTRfootnote and
\RTLfootnotes and they all work in longtable. I am not sure about manyfoot
package but if you only need paragraph footnotes do not load manyfoot
package instead load bidi package with extrafootnotefeatures option.

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 5:07 AM, Jens Bakker <jbakker at uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> Dear Arthur Reutenauer,
>
> Thank you very much for your advice and your valuable informations.
>
> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I would like to proceed to you also with another problem connected with
> longtable and Arabic, please. After using bidi-longtable successfully, I
> wanted to insert a footnote defined by manyfoot into the table and
> therefore I ended the longtable after the line with the footnote and
> started a new one immediately after the first. But this second longtable
> has another appearance despite the fact that it has the same defined
> dimension. Has anybody a remedy?
>
> The files are attached.
>
> With best wishes and best regards,
> Jens Bakker
>

> Am 30.04.2013 um 14:57 schrieb Arthur Reutenauer:
>
> >> I am really sorry, I forgot to attach the files! Here they are:
> >
> >  And I'm sorry too, because I didn't notice your second message ;-)
> > Next time, if you could reply to yourself, that would make it easier to
> > follow the thread.
> >
> >  Anyway, your problem is addressed at section 3.1 of the documentation:
> >
> >       For typesetting RTL tables with longtable package, an
> >       experimental package, bidi-longtable package, is provided.
> >       bidi-longtable package should be loaded after longtable package.
> >
> >  I suppose longtable posed special challenges that needed to be
> > addressed by a separate package.  And since bidi seems to protest when
> > you load longtable after itself, the order you should load the packages
> > seems to be:
> >
> >       \usepackage{longtable}
> >       \usepackage{bidi}
> >       \usepackage{bidi-longtable}
> >
> >> P.S.: Strange enough, the English words "Titel" and "Page" are set
> correctly LTR without defining a Latin language in the preamble.
> >
> >  No, I'm guessing that's an artefact of how XeTeX works: back in the
> > times when it was using ICU, it would ship entire words to be shaped,
> > and then inserted back into the flow; and the shaping engine knows the
> > directionality of the different characters.  Presumably that same
> > behaviour has been retained with HarfBuzz; however I'll let Khaled
> > comment on that, as I haven't looked at the code.
> >
> >       Arthur

Sincerely yours,
Persian TeX Group