[XeTeX] no sukun for some words with arabxetex (Zdenek Wagner)

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 12:05:57 CET 2013

2013/3/12 drrd drrd <drrd at hotmail.fr>:
> Hello,
> thank you for your reponses. But Mr Wagner, could you give me an example
> with polyglossia for the same words. I don't know how to use this package.

It is quite simple. Instead of \usepackage[french]{babel} you will use:

\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{french}

Last year I wrote a book in Czech containing parts in Hindi and Urdu,
so my preambe was:
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{czech}
\setotherlanguage{hindi}
\setotherlanguage{urdu}

I had some problems when I tried to use the Urdu support in
polyglossia together with ArabXeTeX so finally I decided type the text
directly in UTF-8. So you should either use \setotherlanguage{arabic}
or use ArabXeTeX but probably not both. Usage is then very similar to
babel. When I wanted to add a short text in Urdu, I used
\texturdu{کچھاردو الفاز}, or I couldwrite

\begin{urdu}
کچھ اردو الفاز
\end{urdu}

In Arabic you will have to use \begin{Arabic} ... \end{Arabic} because
\arabic is already used - but this is the polyglossia way, not the
ArabXeTeX way.

Polyglossia can even take care about the fonts but it cannot switch
vocalization on and off as ArabXeTeX can. I would therefore suggest to
use polyglossia for French and ArabXeTeX for Arabic, if you need
flexible vocalization, or do everything in polyglossia with input in
UTF-8 if you have Arabic keyboard and you decide to type all
vocalization manually.

Anyway, as the first experiment, I would just use ArabXeTeX without
any other package and try to find whether everything works on a very
simple text. Only then I would add other packages and examine whether
it still works or whether there is a conflict beteween packages.

>> Message: 3
>> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:00:41 +0100
>> From: Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>
>> To: Unicode-based TeX for Mac OS X and other platforms <xetex at tug.org>
>> Subject: Re: [XeTeX] no sukun for some words with arabxetex
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> have you tried to make a minimal sample witout babel? Babel defines
>> quite a lot of active characters, especially the french module. These
>> active characters may cause different kinds of collisions (polyglossia
>> is better than babel). Have you tried to use a different arabic font
>> in order to see whether it is a ArebXeTeX issue or font issue?

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz