[XeTeX] Ligatures

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Jun 19 14:46:45 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 01:11:55PM +0100, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
> > Thank you. This is just what I needed. Incidentally, the tag +liga
> > yielding ligatures for fi, ff, fl, ffi and ffl is the default.
> > It shoul be disabled for small caps:
>
>   I'm pretty sure this is taken care of by the font.  Have you observed
> a small caps "fi" ligature?  I don't even see why a font designer would
> draw such a glyph.

Type1 smallcaps fonts used to do that, not sure why, but probably
because some applications were doing ligature replacement incrementally
and I think it propagated to some (early?) Adobe OpenType fonts. Also,
some fonts seem to use such smallcap ligatures to fix bad interaction
between ‘liga’ and ‘smcp’, but that is the wrong way to fix it.

Regards,
Khaled