[XeTeX] Getting Xetex to create a pdf of text in Amharic

Gildas Hamel gweltaz at ucsc.edu
Mon Jun 17 02:19:08 CEST 2013

* Skriv a reas Gildas Hamel (gweltaz at ucsc.edu):
  |>  * Skriv a reas Amanuel Medhanie (medha001 at umn.edu):
  |>    |>  Hello everyone,
  |>    |>  I am working on a two-sided wedding invitation (for my wedding) where one
  |>    |>  side is in English and the other side is in Amharic. I have the latex code

[commenting upon my previous message after realizing :: is a sentence marker] It looks better with breaks after (::) and with centering, as below. I see a small space after the word separator (:). I don't know what to do about that. I'm attaching a pdf.

\documentclass[12pt,oneside]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{parallel}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\pagestyle{empty}
\setmainlanguage{english}
\setotherlanguage{amharic}
\newfontfamily\amharicfont[Script=Ethiopic, Scale=1.3]{Abyssinica SIL}
\XeTeXlinebreaklocale "en"
\XeTeXlinebreakskip 0pt plus 1pt

\begin{document}

\title{Sample in Gǝ`ǝz}
\maketitle
\begin{Parallel}[p]{15cm}{15cm} \ParallelLText{\center\textamharic{%
     እስመ፡አግዚአብሔር፡አምላክ፡ማእምር፡ውእቱ።

     እግዚአብሔር፡አስተደወ፡መንብሮ።

     ወአድከመ፡ቅሥተ፡ኀያላን።

     ወአቅነቶሙ፡ኀይለ፡ለድኩማን።

     ጽጉማን፡እክል፡ርኅቡ።

     ወርኁባን፡ጸግቡ።

     እስመ፡መካን፡ወለደት፡ሰብዐተ፡ወወለድሰ፡ስእነት፡ወሊደ፡እግዚአብሔር፡ይቀትል፡ወየሐዩ።

     ያወርድኒ፡ውስተ፡ሲእል፡ወየዐርግ።

     እግዚአብሔር፡ያነዲ፡ወያብዕል።

     ያኀስርሂ፡ወያከብር፡ዘያነሥኦ፡እምድር፡ለነዳይ።

     ከመ፡ያንብሮ፡ምስለ፡ዓበይ[ተ]~።}%
     \vspace{30ex}}
   \ParallelRText{Here goes the English text}
 \end{Parallel}
 \end{document}

 --Gildas