[XeTeX] Broken XeTeX

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 11 14:43:28 CEST 2013

Hello

I use plain XeTeX on Windows XP Pro, this build (from the log):

This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (Web2C 2009) (format=xetex 2010.5.18)

It was working OK last night, but today it fails after a few pages ( which appear to be processing normally), with this on the screen (at a DOS prompt):

xdvipdfmx is not found

And then:

xetex.exe fwrite: Broken pipe

Is there a quick way to fix this, or do I need to reinstall XeTeX from scratch.  What happened in the interval is that I tried downloading several programs that would enable me to read an .epub file (all without success).  But I could see that at least one of them was trying to install a PDF manipulation tool of some sort, and it may have interefered at least with default file extensions (possibly worse than that).  Before tinkering further, though, I thought I'd better ask the advice of list members.

Many thanks in advance

John