[XeTeX] XeLaTeX, xeCJK, Japanese: some general questions

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 5 06:06:11 CEST 2013

Hello Kohda-sensei, others,

> I'm not a Polyglossia user so not so sure but I know that

> TeXLive 2012/2013 already contains japanese.ldf like
> /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/platex/japanese/japanese.ldf
> on my Debian system.

To be honest, I am not an expert on p(la)tex. I know it exists. I see it is in TeXLive so I will check it out!

> I can't find so many appropriate sites but there are some site
> on xeCJK written in japanese:
>
> http://zrbabbler.sp.land.to/xelatex.html
> http://oku.edu.mie-u.ac.jp/~okumura/texwiki/?xeCJK

Thanks, I will check those out.

> In TeXLive 2012/2013, we already have LuTeX-ja so LuaLaTeX is
> a good candidate but I don't think we need to forget XeLaTeX.
> If you don't need vertical typesettings, I believe both
> LuaLaTeX and XeLaTeX are good enough.
> If you need vertical typesettings, I think only pTeX/upTeX
> is useful practically at present.

Interesting. My current question really emanates from the fact that I am considering to start writing my lecture notes in Japanese. For my classes (computer science, nuclear reactor physics, basic mathematics, nuclear reactor engineering) I have found it difficult to find appropriate text books. Many text books are available at the "bachelor" level, but for the "master" level there is not much - especially in reactor physics there are no "modern" text books available in Japanese, with one exception.... but that text book has 15 chapters, with more than 400 equations per chapter - that is a reference work, not a text book ;-))

Anyway - I will check uplatex + babel. That would solve all problems, I think.

Cheers,
Wilfred