[XeTeX] XeLaTeX, xeCJK, Japanese: some general questions

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 5 03:30:52 CEST 2013

(You can use the ctex document class as well, which is a higher level wrapper
of both xeCJK and other Chinese typesetting options.)

- Jiang

I prefer memoir. In fact, this is one of the things I remember from when I was looking at gloss-japanese..... the problem is that for instance the chapter headings need to become "第1章", but most documentclasses define the chapter heading as "chapter_indicator chapter_number", i.e. chapter_indicator equals "chapter" or something, followed by the number. In Babel, you can only change the contents of "chapter_indicator". For Japanese, you have to hack all these things. In memoir this is, in fact, not too difficult because there are macros to set the "chapter name indicator" and the "number indicator". Simply \redefine these macros and there you go. But in most "regular" documentclasses it is not so easy, I think. Anyway - I will have to check these things out.