[XeTeX] XeLaTeX, xeCJK, Japanese: some general questions

Jiang Jiang gzjjgod at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 17:34:51 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Wilfred van Rooijen
<wvanrooijen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Xelatex, fontspec, xeCJK, zhspacing..... what is the best way to go? Which
> of these packages can be considered "mature"? Also, polyglossia does not
> handle Japanese (yet), what is the status there? Or should we forget about
> XeLaTeX and go for luaLaTeX? Some general comments would be warmly
> appreciated.

For typesetting Chinese documents with XeLaTeX, I'd recommend using xeCJK.
Also, using xeCJK doesn't prevent you from accessing fontspec directly, you
can still use it to set up fonts for other languages.

(You can use the ctex document class as well, which is a higher level wrapper
of both xeCJK and other Chinese typesetting options.)

- Jiang