[XeTeX] bold small caps, but no regular small caps

Lorna Evans lorna_evans at sil.org
Wed Jul 31 16:22:49 CEST 2013

As one of the people who works on Charis SIL, I'd like to understand
this problem better. Is the problem in TeXLive 2013 or in the Charis SIL
font? Is the problem with a certain version of Charis SIL? (I'd prefer v
4.110 be used rather than 4.112 or 4.114).
I don't have fontspec set up. Does anyone know whether fontspec is
calling "smcp" or "c2sc"? (both smcp and c2sc are implemented in the
fonts so it shouldn't matter, but I'd like to know which it uses).

It doesn't make any sense to me that there is no problem in bold but a
problem in regular. The font is built using scripts run on all 4 faces
at the same time.

FYI: we are in the process of making a new version of Charis SIL so we'd
like to find out where the bug is.

Thanks,
Lorna