[XeTeX] difficulty with ancient greek diacriticals in XeTeX with Gentium Plus

Richard Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Jul 19 04:15:31 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 10:49:32PM +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 18.07.2013 um 20:53 schrieb Apostolos Syropoulos:
>
> > BTW, I don't think I have Gentium and I am using XeTeX,
>
> You certainly have the normal and basic versions! In TL '12 they were here: /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/gentium.

Interesting -- I didn't know that.

I appear to have made an inadvertent mistake in my original post; sorry
about that.  I'm using MacTeX 2012, not TeXLive 2012.  I don't know if this
has any significance or not, though.  (I'm also not entirely clear on the
relationship between MacTeX and TeXLive.  Are they basically the same thing
on MacOS?)

I mention this now only because I went looking to see if the fonts are at
the location given above on my system, and they're not.  This is probably a
good thing, because I downloaded them myself from SIL's website and put
them in ~/Library/Fonts.  Since they're not also in /usr/local, I don't
have to worry about which copy XeTeX is using, which is nice.

I'll try to look at the other responses in this thread when I have a little
bit more time tomorrow -- thanks to all who've made suggestions!

Richard