[XeTeX] \textsc{} does not work any more with tex live 2013

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jul 9 14:21:55 CEST 2013

On Jul 9, 2013, at 5:50 AM, Jens Bakker <jbakker at uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I would like to ask a question, please: may it be, that the command \textsc{} does not work with tex live 2013 any more? Please see the attached minimal example.
>
> With best wishes and best regards,
> Jens Bakker

Howdy,

This has been brought up before and answered by quite clearly by Khaled Hosny. I quote:

``Charis SIL is a hybrid OpenType/Graphite font, in 0.9998 OpenType was
chosen but in 0.9999 Graphite is chosen instead (a side effect of using
HarfBuzz for both OpenType and Graphite) I’m not yet decided whether to
consider this a bug or a feature.

Either way, with such hybrid fonts it is always better to be explicit
about what font technology to use, adding a “Renderer=ICU” will force
OpenType layout (should be renamed “Renderer=OT” now, but it still works
nevertheless). ... ''

So simply use

\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text,Renderer=ICU]{Charis SIL}

and all will be fine.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)