[XeTeX] Basic CJK support in Polyglossia

Hans Schmidt hans.schmidt.5 at gmx.de
Mon Jan 14 17:49:35 CET 2013

Hello,

I know that sophisticated CJK support is quite a challenge and that it
is not easily achievable.
I wonder if it is possible to include basic CJK support in Polyglossia,
though.

What I had in mind:

1. Offering \begin{chinese/japanese/korean} and
\textchinese/japanese/korean.
2. When enabled, load the line break patterns that you get at least a
line break.
spacing and other options.
4. Set a larger line spacing for a complete paragraph.
(5. Load a default font.)

I know that with the current packages it is not possible to write a good
complete CJK text, but currently, it is quite cumbersome to set
everything for yourself, if you just want to insert some words or a
small paragraph in Japanese: \newcommand for a Japanese environment, the
line break option, the font, spacing between latin and CJK text etc.
Even if I know how to do it, it would be much nicer if this would be set
in Polyglossia. Thats what that package is for, isn’t it?

Polyglossia has support for almost any language, so I wonder why not
CJK. Isn’t it possible to at least insert the easy, already supported
things into Polyglossia?

Thanks,
Hans