[XeTeX] PDF V1.6 too recent

Kevin Godby godbyk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 17:13:05 CET 2013

Hello, Philip.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> Really ?  So the message
>
>> ** WARNING ** Version of PDF file (1.6) is newer than version limit specification.
>
> is not a warning at all, and XeTeX is perfectly happy to handle PDF Version 1.6 ?
>
> If so, I shall be forced to use even more electrons and ask
>
> "Could the spurious warning that XeTeX cannot handle PDF 1.6 please be removed ?".

The warning isn't spurious.  It's warning you because the PDF being
generated by XeTeX is of a version less than 1.6, but you're including
a PDF or features that require at least version 1.6.

To get rid of this warning, you can use XeTeX's --output-driver
command-line option:

  xelatex --output-driver="xdvipdfmx -V 6" myfile.tex

This command-line option instructs the xdvipdfmx program to generate a
version 1.6 PDF.  It's important to note, however, that setting this
version has no impact on the PDF features used by XeTeX—it only
changes the internal version number in the file itself.  So you could,
for example, have XeTeX generate a version 1.3 PDF that contains
version 1.6 features.  (Don't do that.)

--Kevin Godby