[XeTeX] Ubuntu and XeLaTeX

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 22:45:58 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Mojca Miklavec <
mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM, BPJ wrote:
> > On 2013-02-21 08:50, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> >>
> >> The only thing that needs to be done is to replace
> >>      /usr/local/texlive/2012/bin/<platform>/xetex
> >> (and possibly xdvipdfmx) with the new version and remake the formats.
> >> Path might vary depending on your installation.
> >
> > You mean that it's not enugh to put it somewhere else and have the system
> > find it?
>
> You can put the binary *somewhere* else, but not *anywhere* else. TeX
> is compiled in such a way that it searches for texmf.cnf in folders
> that are relative to its location. It would probably work if you would
> put it into
>     /usr/local/texlive/2012/bin/mypatchedbinaries/xetex
> and add /usr/local/texlive/2012/bin/mypatchedbinaries to PATH.
>
> (For example, if TeX Live is installed in /usr/local/texlive/2012 then
> adding the binary to $HOME/bin won't work, even if $HOME/bin is in
> PATH, since the binary won't be able to find the corresponding

configuration file.)

Correct. I often create /usr/local/texlive/YYYY/bin/<arch>-l directories for
"locally compiled" versions, and adjust the PATH accordingly when I want
to use those versions.    It is worth mentioning that the environment
modules package makes it easy to adjust the environment (e.g., PATH)
from the commandline, e.g.,

$ module swap TL TL-patched

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia