[XeTeX] xetex and the unicode bidirectional algorithm.

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Thu Dec 5 16:51:43 CET 2013

On Dec 5, 2013, at 7:48 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at cscott.net> wrote:

> Can anyone point me to docs on XeT--TeX?  A Google the other day failed to turn up anything useful.

On your TeX system, texdoc xetex gives the main documentation. But the bidi documentation, polyglossia documentation and fontspec documentation will also be useful.

> Also: polyglossia appears to be doing some amount of LTR/RTL directionality switching based on the character block.  Can anyone offer advice on how to avoid fighting with that, if I'm implementing my own bidi algorithm?

I think polyglossia does switching only based on language. For RTL languages, it relies on the bidi package.

> Finally: any advice on using CJK languages with polyglossia?  Embedded CJK is quite common.  Should I be writing gloss-ja etc files to set the right directionality and font and get the appropriate CJK support packages loaded?

There is a separate xeCJK package.  I don’t know how well they all work together.

Alan