[XeTeX] xetex and the unicode bidirectional algorithm.

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Wed Dec 4 06:31:58 CET 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 01:42:21PM -0500, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>> Does XeLaTeX implement the Unicode BiDi algorithm?
>
> Short answer: no.
>
> I think sample documents (minimal working example) are needed for any
> useful suggestion.

Attached are the first 23 references from
https://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A5%D8%B3%D8%B7%D9%86%D8%A8%D9%88%D9%84#.D9.85.D8.B5.D8.A7.D8.AF.D8.B1
(the Arabic wikipedia article on Istanbul), as generated by my XeLaTeX
formatter.

Things to notice:
1) Unicode BiDi algorithm at work in web version in places like
citation [1], "Statistics of the 2010 Turkey census".  XeLaTeX renders
this backwards.
2) Broken italic for arabic in GNU freefont in citation [2].
(straightforward to fix)
3) Arabic comma instead of English comma in citation [23]. (in both
web and XeLaTeX output)

Item #1 is the one I'd really appreciate suggestions for fixing.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )