[XeTeX] Strange problem with Devanagari in GNU FreeFont

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 21:50:41 CEST 2013

2013/7/31 Akira Kakuto <kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp>:
> Hi,
>
>> Is it possible to find which
>> exact font file was used by XeTeX and which one by xdvipdfmx?
>

> I think, in the recent XeTeX, used font files are written with full paths
> in foo.xdv by xe(la)tex --no-pdf foo.

Thank you very much for this note. Although I have not found any
disassembler for xdv, I was able to use hexedit and the path could be
found very quickly. Now there is a big mystery. I have two instances
of the GNU FreeFont in both my computers and the same version of TL
2013. Both computers are x86_64. One instance is the latest inofficial
snapshot, another instance is the one distributed in TL. My fontconfig
is configured to look to my directories first. In Fedora 17 it does so
and the latest snapshot is used while in Fedora 18 "fc-match -v
FreeSans" finds the latest snapshot but XeTeX finds the instance
distributed with TL. I have uninstalled forcibly the TL version so
that now using the latest snapshot Devanagari works.

> Best,
> Akira

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/