[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.9999.2 released

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 22:53:48 CEST 2013

2013/4/13 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>:
> On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 07:31:48PM +0200, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>> >> >> >> >
>> > ,,,
>> > There are two things to compare against here:
>> >
>> > * the pre-0.9999 output (i.e. our patched ICU LE).
>> > * the Uniscribe output.
>> >
>> > Now given the situation of complex script support in OpenType, whatever
>> > Uniscribe does *is* the standard and if other renderers deviate form
>> > it, they are wrong (unless the deviation is deliberate, which is not the
>> > case here with AFAIK).
>> >
>> > So, what I'm saying is that 0.9999 output (i.e. HarfBuzz) is the same as
>> > Uniscribe, so it is right and the old output was wrong. You were
>> > implying that Uniscribe on Windows 8 was giving different result from
>> > 0.9999 but the screenshots you gave me show otherwise.
>> >
>> > So in short, unless Uniscribe is giving you *different* results than
>> > XeTeX 0.9999, the new behaviour is correct and the old one is wrong.
>> >
>> Sorry but saying that fonts used to work only due to equivalent lucky
>> bugs in both ICU and Pango and all firefox versions distributed with
>> CentOS and Fedora within the last 8 years.
>
> GNU FreeFont had Indic support for 8 years? Besides Firefox on Linux was
> using Pango since version 3 until very recently, so we are talking about
> just two engines, known to have Indic bugs.

Certainly not but till October last year I had such old computers with
Linux that was not updated for years. I tested FreeFont also on them.

>> (including the current version 20.0)
>
> We use essentially the same OpenType layout engine used by Firefox now,
> and there should be any differences, if they are please provide specific
> tests and clear instructions (please keep in mind that I'm completely
> ignorant of Indic scripts and need hand holding here).

That's the very reason why I want to run all the tests myself and
report only what fails. I can immediatelly see what is wrong but I do
not know the Indic OpenType specification and cannot fix the problem.
I feel that cooperation is needed and I do wish to cooperate. I can
convert my tests to HTML and test them in firefox 20.0 and take
screenshots.

Strangely enough, firefox works without any error with FreeFont but
gmail and facebook probably supply their own fonts. It worked fine
some time ago but now it does not, probably since firefox v.17 but I
do not know it exactly. If I want to have correct Devanagari in gmail
and facebook, I have to configure firefox to use locally installed
FreeFont only, not the fonts supplied by CSS. Gmail's CSS is
unreadable by human eyes so I cannot figure out what font is actually
used.

>> Is there a possibility to obtain the output of my samples (preferably
>> online) from Uniscribe if I send the text and the font? I would like
>> to report just what is wrong, not to bother with tests that pass. I
>> have only legal installation media of Windows 98 and Windows XP (but
>> not installed anywhere because my old computers have crashed) and do
>> not intend to buy newer versions of Windows. I plan to buy an iPad
>> when I earn some money.
>
> I don't have the latest Windows myself, I can only test on Windows 7
> occasionally.
>
> Regards,
> Khaled

Zdeněk Wagner