[XeTeX] best tips for microtype

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Apr 5 23:20:47 CEST 2013

On Apr 5, 2013, at 3:29 PM, Joe Corneli <holtzermann17 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Microtype has some support for XeLaTeX, but not for all of the
> features described here:
> http://www.khirevich.com/latex/microtype/
>
> Are others on this list using microtype to good effect?  I'm just using
>
> \usepackage[protrusion=true,final,factor=1100]{microtype}
>
> Is there a way to squeeze more juice out of it?

Howdy,

I'm pretty sure microtype can't do font expansion with xelatex so you are left with protrusion only. I usually use it with simply

\usepackage{microtype}

and it seems to use reasonable defaults.

I must admit that I only use xelatex if I need to use a special font (I don't tend to use non-latin alphabets so T1 font encoding is good enough for my usage) and love the combination of protrusion and font expansion which makes documents really look amazingly ``gray''.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)