[XeTeX] howto xelatex and auctex

Jacobo Myerston jmyerston at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 16:02:13 CEST 2012

I'm working on highly annotated documents using xelatex. I have been
working with texshop, but I want to use emacs (actually aquamacs) as
an editor  because of the capabilities of the auctex package for emacs
to fold chunks of code, like footnotes, etc.

 For my surprise, I found that emacs 24 still does not support xelatex
out the box. It has a xetex engine, but not xelatex.  I find that
different people have some hacks to get it work, but I cannot find any
documentation (step by step) how to configure emacs to works properly
with xelatex. Does anybody knows how to get xelatex to work properly
with emacs without having to use the prompt every time you want to
compile?