[XeTeX] FreeSerif not working for me in Devanagari

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 23:37:32 CEST 2012

2012/9/8 Manfred Lotz <manfred.lotz at arcor.de>:
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 08:32:14 -0500
> Neal Delmonico <ndelmonico at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have been following another thread here and decided to try out the
>> Gnu FreeFonts.  I was burned by Sanskrit 2003 which does not handle
>> the "r" in conjunction properly.
>
> This is interesting. I found Sanskrit 2003 especially good in producing
> ligatures. Could you give an example where it is wrong?

Conjuncts with YA are difficult and there are problems to make them
work with all shapers. The glyphs are present in the Velthuis fonts.
Steve White sent me many samples when developing the Devanagari block
and it took him a long time before tha YA conjuncts were right. There
is even a difference between usage in Hindi and Sanskrit thus it is
quite complex.

> PS: I will be on vacation and will come back to this in some two weeks
> time.
>

> --
> Thanks,
> Manfred