[XeTeX] FreeSerif not working for me in Devanagari

Neal Delmonico ndelmonico at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 7 16:16:01 CEST 2012

The two problems I mentioned are in the sample I sent yesterday.  I have
attached the same sample as before (and its source file) done this time
successfully with FreeSerif.  Five lines from the the bottom, second
cluster from the right you can see "kimaGgAni."  The Gg is the guttural
n + g combination.  It should have the n on top and the g beneath it.
This is pretty standard.  Instead one has the n with a virama stroke
underneath it and the g next to it.  A little earlier in the same line
the same is true when d + g occur in mAnonnAhAdglapayasi.  That is more
complicated because three consonants are involved: d + g + l.  I have
noticed that even Nakula does not try to combine those.  So perhaps that
is not a fault.  Basically, though, anytime I see the virama stroke used
in consonant combinations, I see it as a conjunct failure.  It is not
that it is wrong.  I have seen plenty of printed examples of Devanagari
texts in which it is done, but it always seems like an eyesore and a
cheap alternative to the proper way of doing it.

What concerns me most is that FreeSerif does not appear in the page
headings.  Here is an example of the code I use for that which works
well with Nakula and Sahadeva and even Sanskrit 2003:

\chapter*{The Leading Ladies (\skt{atha n?yik?bhedaprakaraam})}
\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{The Leading Ladies (\textsanskrit{atha
n?yik?bhedaprakaraam})}
\markboth{?r? Ujjvala-n?lamai}{The Leading Ladies (\textsanskrit{atha
n?yik?bhedaprakaraam})}

Why would this produce little empty boxes at the top of the pages
instead of the Devanagari?

These are just problems I have noticed with a glance.  I have not looked
at FreeSerif in a longer text.

Best

Neal