[XeTeX] FreeSerif not working for me in Devanagari

Neal Delmonico ndelmonico at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 7 15:32:14 CEST 2012

Hi All,

I have been following another thread here and decided to try out the Gnu
FreeFonts.  I was burned by Sanskrit 2003 which does not handle the "r" in
conjunction properly.  I upgraded to TeXLive 2012 and replaced Sanskrit
2003 with FreeSerif and ran xelatex.  To my surprise none of the conjuncts
worked in the result.  I also tried FreeSans and found the conjuncts
worked but there were other problems.  I must be doing something wrong,
but I have no idea what it is.

here is my header:

\documentclass[10pt,titlepage,twoside]{book}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setmainfont{Charis SIL}
\newfontfamily\sanskritfont[Script=Devanagari,Mapping=RomDev]{Nakula}
\newcommand{\skt}[1]{{\begin{sanskrit} #1\end{sanskrit}}}
\newcommand\skttranslit[1]{\begin{sanskrit}\fontspec{Charis
SIL}#1\end{sanskrit}}
\newfontfamily\hindifont[Script=Devanagari]{Lohit-Devanagari}
\newcommand{\hin}[1]{{\begin{hindi} #1\end{hindi}}}
\newfontfamily\bengalifont[Script=Bengali,
Mapping=RomBen]{Lohit-Bengali}%Arial Unicode MS, Lohit-Bengali, Free
Serif, Vrinda and Code2000 also possible
\newcommand{\ben}[1]{{\bengalifont{#1}}}
\setdefaultlanguage{english}
\setotherlanguage{sanskrit}
\setotherlanguage{hindi}
\setotherlanguage{bengali}

I'm running Freebsd current.  Nakula and Sahadeva work fine, but FreeSerif
does not.  Attached is a sample file (test.pdf) showing the result I get
and another file showing the result with Nakula (test-2).

Any suggestions?

Best

Neal