[XeTeX] babel

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Tue Sep 4 12:12:01 CEST 2012

I am confused, Zdeněk :

>> Zdenek Wagner wrote:

> Not the font, only the language.

but in your earlier message you wrote "IMHO it should be a property of a
font, not of a typesetting system."

So I am not at all clear what you are advocating : are you saying that
it should be

(a) a static property of any font to be used exclusively for French
(b) a dynamic (user-selectable)  property of any font to be used
     non-exclusively for French
(c) a property of a "language", as defined by packages such as Babel
     or Polyglossia, or
(d) something else ?

I pass over the discussion on active characters (because those problems
are well understood) and on LuaTeX (because I would like a solution
that can be used with XeTeX).

** Phil.