[XeTeX] babel

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue Sep 4 12:34:20 CEST 2012

Am Tue, 4 Sep 2012 11:45:53 +0200 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:

> Here luatex has an advantage that
> such features can be injected via lua without changing the font (if
> you know how to do it). I prefer this way because active characters
> may break some macros, eg a macro may expect an argument delimited
> with : with category 12 but if it is made active for French
> typesetting, this macro will not work.

The current version of frenchb.ldf
(http://daniel.flipo.free.fr/frenchb/) doesn't make punctuation
chars like :  active when xetex is used, it then use (like
polyglossia) \XeTeXinterchartoks to adjust the spacing. So babel +
frenchb is already adapted to pdflatex *and* xelatex.

With lualatex one can also use microtype to adjust the spacing, see
e.g. here
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/64591/automatically-adding-space-before-punctuation-in-old-style-english-texts/64609#64609
If someone would suggest this to Daniel he perhaps could implement
it.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/