[XeTeX] Problem with includegraphics of pdf file version 1.5 which was fixed when converting to version 1.4

Jørgen Skancke jorgsk at nt.ntnu.no
Mon Oct 1 10:57:44 CEST 2012

Hi,

This minimal working example

   \documentclass[a4paper]{article}
   \usepackage{graphicx}
   \begin{document}
   \includegraphics{nature_format.pdf}
   \end{document}

using this pdf file

http://www.nt.ntnu.no/users/jorgsk/nature_format.pdf

results in the following errror

** WARNING ** Streams with DecodeParams not supported.
** WARNING ** Cannot parse cross-reference stream.
** WARNING ** Error while parsing PDF file.
** WARNING ** pdf: image inclusion failed for "../nature_format.pdf"

with xelatex. It works with pdflatex. I'm using ubuntu 12.04 with TeX
live 2011.

My workaround solution was to use gs to convert the pdf file from
version 1.5 to version 1.4, so it appears that there are some recent pdf
features (this DecodeParams perhaps) that could not be supported.

Here is the output of xelatex --version:

XeTeX 3.1415926-2.3-0.9997.5 (TeX Live 2011)
kpathsea version 6.0.1
Copyright 2011 SIL International and Jonathan Kew.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the XeTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the XeTeX source.
Primary author of XeTeX: Jonathan Kew.
Compiled with ICU version 4.6 [with modifications for XeTeX]
Compiled with zlib version 1.2.5; using 1.2.5
Compiled with FreeType2 version 2.4.4; using 2.4.4
Compiled with fontconfig version 2.8.0; using 2.8.0
Compiled with libpng version 1.5.2; using 1.5.2
Compiled with xpdf version 3.02pl5

Jørgen