[XeTeX] Linux Libertine
George N. White III
gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 01:03:21 CET 2012
I have TL2012 from svn installed and do not have bold italics in the test
file. After you update the font caches, you can see which files are used:
$ fc-list -v Linux\ Libertine\ O | grep file
so there are some potential conflicts with the distro (Ubuntu 12.04) fonts,
but only otf fonts.
If I add the type1 font directories to my ~/.fonts.conf and update the
caches, I do see the
bold italic, and there are type1 fonts in the fc-list -v output.
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Arash Zeini <arash.zeini at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 November 2012 12:18, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de> wrote:
> > Am 27.11.2012 um 11:56 schrieb Arash Zeini:
> >> As I said the problems started with the
> >> inclusion of the libertine- and biolinum-type1 packages.
> > On Linux you have the libfontconfig based font service. It uses commands
> like fc-cache, fc-list, etc. It has a configuration file named fonts.conf,
> maybe located in /usr/local/etc/fonts. Documentation can be found in the
> files fontconfig-user.html or fontconfig-user.pdf. What I'd recommend,
> besides reading the documentation, is to find the cache directories of the
> system and of you. The latter directory can by ~/.cache or ~/.fontconfig,
> maybe with some version number (as in ~/.fontconfig-2.4). This should be
> documented (set) in the fonts.conf or personal ~/.fonts.conf files. Then
> delete all the cache files and run:
> > sudo fc-cache -v # for the system
> > fc-cache -v # for you
> > Learn to check with the fc-* commands what fonts your service has, from
> which font files they come, and which features the fonts provide!
> I have done this, but the problem persists. Were you suggesting that
> taking the above steps could possibly solve the bold italics problem?
> >> And I have
> >> now noticed that when I update TeXLive, I get an error message for
> >> missing map files for biolinum and libertine type1 fonts.
> > Xe(La)TeX (and LuaTeX) does not use MAP files. XeTeX asks a "font
> service", that manages cache files of the installed fonts repository, to
> give it a font (and LuaTeX uses its own cache file). So repairing the MAP
> files (with pointers from strange or sick TeX font names to real font names
> and font files) only helps pdfTeX (XeTeX and LuaTeX use the real font names
> directly and need no mapping).
> I sort of understand this! The point I was trying to make, is that (1)
> the problem started with the installation of libertine-type1, (2)
> Khaled suggested in his post that "(Type1 fonts [are] being picked
> instead of OpenType ones)".
> Subscriptions, Archive, and List information, etc.:
George N. White III <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the XeTeX