[XeTeX] horizontal alignment

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 14:05:48 CET 2012

2012/11/20 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de>:

> Am 20.11.2012 um 13:02 schrieb Lucio Crusca:
>
>> Tried, but the only hint I got is that the problem is caused by something that
>> is actually there but it's invisible...
>
> Then try to
>
>         \usepackage{xcolor}
>
> and colorise the boxes to see which one produces which artefact.
>
> The minipage environment is a \parbox. Can you try, in a second step, to substitute the minipages with \parbox'es? And in a third step it's possible to put a colourful \framebox around each \parbox to see how the elements get stacked.
>
> Instead of \hspace you could use \rule and see what it is actually doing...

I would go even further. Within minipage LaTeX does a lot of things
that are not explained in the user manual, it is necessary to dig into
the LaTeX source code. among others it handles footnotes so that they
appear inside the minipage. Do you really need all that? If it is done
for positioning and nothing else, I would rather used \vbox or \vtop
because their behaviur is pecisely described in The TeXbook.

> (I don't really understand what your code is doing, so I will have to perform some of these changes myself.)
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz