[XeTeX] Printer doesn't print formulas

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu May 31 15:05:55 CEST 2012

2012/5/31 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Tobias Schoel wrote:

>>> The question: did you update printer drivers or OS?
>>
>> Not conciously, which should mean, not at all, on my system.
>>
>>> You didn't specify what operating system you are using.
>>
>> Lubuntu 12.04 with texlive 2011 from tug.org.
>
> And which/what kind of printer? (I guess it is a PostScript printer.)
> There is also a slight chance that the printer has problems with those
> fonts, or at least the part of software that "converts" PDF into
> PostScript and passes it to printer.
>
> When I was printing my thesis on Ubuntu Linux in 2009, everything from
> one particular figure on was blank. It might be that also Evince
> wasn't able to display that figure, everything was just white. When I
> printed to the same printer from Mac, it worked well.

In case of figures or in documents with many complex fonts such
behavior may be caused by exhausting printer's memory. different
programs may convert PDF to PS in different way. Acrobat Reader may be
set to be memory conservative in printing and it is also possible to
select "Print as image". In such a case the pages are rendered in a
computer memory, printing is usually much slower but less demanding to
a printer memory.

> Can you try printing the same faulty PDF with live CD from a different
> linux distribution on the same printer? Are you able to send the
> document to printer by circumventing all the GUI programs (using "lpr"
> for example)?
>
>>> I would say that either OS is "broken" or there is some very very
>>> subtle problem that isn't manifested on anyone else's machine. From
>>> what I understood you had the same problem with LuaTeX and you didn't
>>> yet report if other OpenType math fonts cause problems.
>>
>> I hadn't tested it with lualatex. I did now and it has the same problems.
>
> Testing my ConTeXt example counted as testing LuaTeX. So yes, I would
> expect the same problems with LuaLaTeX.
>
> Mojca

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/