[XeTeX] Printer doesn't print formulas

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 30 20:27:33 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Tobias Schoel
<liesdiedatei at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since some days ago, my printer stopped printing documents with math
> formulas correctly. He prints until the first formula, then stops and ejects
> the paper.
>
> The documents are all created with xelatex using TeX Gyre Pagella, Linux
> Biolinum O and Asana Math.
>
> I haven't updated anything lately except for siunitx, which isn't involved
> in all of that documents.

The question: did you update printer drivers or OS?

It is almost impossible that it would stop working without updating
anything at all, neither TeX engines nor fonts nor printer drivers.

You didn't specify what operating system you are using. One very
ingenious example was Apple's update to OS X 10.6.8 when all
Type1-flavoured OpenType fonts failed to print on all Macs and the
whole system was broken. At that time printing from Cups helped.

> This may sound like a printer bug, but lets look at the following minimal
> example.
>
> \documentclass{minimal}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \usepackage{unicode-math}
> \setmathfont{Asana Math}
> \begin{document}
> \[\int_1^2f(x)dx\]
> \end{document}
>
> The printed document will be empty.
> Replacing Asana Math by XITS Math results in \int_1^2 being printed, the
> rest not.

This only tells you that both OpenType fonts are broken. Do you get
the same problem with TeX Gyre Pagella Math
(http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/tex-gyre-math/opentype) or
Cambria Math (if you have access to that one)?

> Removing fontspec, unicode-math and \setmathfont alltogether results in the
> whole formula being printed (in default font of course).

But then the old Type1 font is used.

I would say that either OS is "broken" or there is some very very
subtle problem that isn't manifested on anyone else's machine. From
what I understood you had the same problem with LuaTeX and you didn't
yet report if other OpenType math fonts cause problems.

Mojca