[XeTeX] Smart quotes, xelatex texlive 2011

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon May 21 18:03:35 CEST 2012

2012/5/21  <anakreon at csd.auth.gr>:
>> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Minion Pro}
>> \newfontfamily\greekfont[Script=Greek,Mapping=tex-text]{Minion Pro}
>
> I  am using  DejaVu  Sans. I  get warnings  regarding  this font.  For
> example, substitutes  are used for italic  font shape.
> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `EU1/DejaVuSans(1)/m/it' undefined
> (Font)              using `EU1/DejaVuSans(1)/m/n' instead on input line 387.
> Minion Pro  is not  installed in  my system.  I'd like  to use  a font
> similar to  DejaVu Sans  that supports  italic text.  Do you  have any
> suggestions?

Sans fonts rarely come with true italic, they usually have only
oblique shapes obtained by geometric slanting. I know only one sans
font with italics, a commercial font Dynamo Grotesk from
www.stormtype.com but it lacks Greek. However, you can try FreeSans.

>> BTW, in Greek one uses << and >> to quote text, not the
>> double quotation marks.
> How do you insert those characters?
>
> The Mapping=tex-text in the newfontfamily declaration solved the
> problem. I followed Peter's suggestion regarding the order of
> commands.
>
> Thank you all for your constructive suggestions.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz