[XeTeX] Smart quotes, xelatex texlive 2011

anakreon at csd.auth.gr anakreon at csd.auth.gr
Mon May 21 16:09:58 CEST 2012

> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Minion Pro}
> \newfontfamily\greekfont[Script=Greek,Mapping=tex-text]{Minion Pro}

I  am using  DejaVu  Sans. I  get warnings  regarding  this font.  For
example, substitutes  are used for italic  font shape.
LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `EU1/DejaVuSans(1)/m/it' undefined
(Font)              using `EU1/DejaVuSans(1)/m/n' instead on input line 387.
Minion Pro  is not  installed in  my system.  I'd like  to use  a font
similar to  DejaVu Sans  that supports  italic text.  Do you  have any
suggestions?

> BTW, in Greek one uses « and » to quote text, not the
> double quotation marks.
How do you insert those characters?

The Mapping=tex-text in the newfontfamily declaration solved the
problem. I followed Peter's suggestion regarding the order of
commands.

Thank you all for your constructive suggestions.