[XeTeX] Smart quotes, xelatex texlive 2011

Anakreon anakreonmejdi at yahoo.gr
Mon May 21 15:05:15 CEST 2012

Hello list.

I use ubuntulinux precise. Special characters such as smart quotes or "--" are not typeset as expected. I downloaded and installed the texlive 2011 distribution in the hope that it would solve the problem. However, the problem remains. From suggestions I found on the Internet, a minimal example demonstrating the problem is the following:

\documentclass[twoside,a4paper, 12pt]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Times New Roman}
\newfontfamily\greekfont[Script=Greek]{Times New Roman}
\defaultfontfeatures{Ligatures=TeX}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{greek}
\setotherlanguage{english}
\begin{document}
Outside ``english'' environment --

\begin{english}
``Quotes'' -- inside english environment
\end{english}

\begin{greek}
  ``Ελληνικό'' -- περιβάλλον
\end{greek}

``Ελληνικά''
\end{document}

I have attached the resulting pdf file and the original tex example. Experiments with other fonts (DejaVu Sans) made no difference.