[XeTeX] "Minimalist" TeX?

C Y smustudent1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 06:38:58 CEST 2012

I have compiled xetex from the latest Git sources on sourceforge, and the build appears to have been successful.

Does the sourceforge Git repo of xetex produce a working (albeit minimal) TeX once compilation is complete?  (It didn't seem to in my quick test, but it's quite possible I didn't do something right environment wise...)  If not, is there documentation anywhere of what constitutes the minimal set of files that will allow an average LaTeX document to be typeset?

My interest is in building a "Minimalist" subset of TeX in situations where a system installation isn't present, but I've not had much luck locating documentation describing what constitutes a minimal-yet-functional subset of the TeX Live distribution.  Has anybody documented such a subset?

Thanks,
CY