[XeTeX] XeLaTeX and SIunitx

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon May 14 10:47:21 CEST 2012

Am Mon, 14 May 2012 08:04:47 +0200 schrieb Bruno Le Floch:

> You cannot do  " \ifxetex ^^^^00b5 \else ^^c2^^b5 \fi "  because the
> character ^^^ is invalid in pdfTeX (catcode 15), hence pdfTeX chokes
> whenever it sees that character in a line, with the exception of \^^^,
> the command symbol (otherwise it would be difficult to change the
> catcode of ^^^).  On the other hand, you can do
>
> \ifxetex
>     \expandafter \@gobble \string \^^^^00b5
> \else
> \fi

Or one could use the actual character: In this case pdftex would
"see" the two octets and not complain about an invalid character. So
one has to make a choice between "encoding independence" and
"invalid chars problem".

On the whole I would say the best is really to separate such engine
dependent code in different files - much cleaner.

--
Ulrike Fischer