[XeTeX] Babel

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu May 3 22:13:54 CEST 2012

2012/5/3 Apostolos Syropoulos <asyropoulos at yahoo.com>:
>> I am a scientist, TeX is not my primary job, it is a hobby that I use
>
> So you are a scientist and others are what? Idiots?

Have I written anything like that? You have written that development
of indic scripts support in luatex is a job for a student for master
thesis. I have asked whether you have such a student and offered help
and testing the Devanagari script.

>> use as my hobby. I cannot tell my customers, please, wait a year or
>> so, I have to develop a new piece of software. Both in science and
>
> That is your problem! Not mine, and certainly not a problem of this community!
>
>> private commercial work I am supposed to have results. I cannot wait
>> until new software is available, I _must_ use existing tools that
>> allow me to create required results. I also have an archive of old
>

> Then use them, but please do not ask for updates! People should not
> waste their precious time with outdated tools and packages.

Who declared babel outdated? I have not seen such a statement. And if
I submit a patch improving things in babel, will I be wrong?

I do appreciate work of authors of all TeX components, I appreciate
the work of TeX Live maintainers, even the work of Thjomas Esser for
teTeX that is no longer maintain, the work of Eberhard Mattes for his
excellent emTeX that was my first TeX distribution, Jun Sawataishi for
OS/2 port of teTeX (I cannot name all people here). The continuous
development ensures that what I created with emTeX on DOS or OS/2 20
years ago can now be processed with TeX Live on Linux.

> A.S.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz