[XeTeX] Texworks not finding .sty file

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed May 2 22:40:59 CEST 2012

On May 2, 2012, at 2:16 PM, Malcolm Keating wrote:

> I am running TeXworks on my Mac OS X and trying to call:
>
> \usepackage{utdiss2}
>

> I have made sure that utdiss2.sty is located in the directory:
>

> /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/
>
> However, when I compile, I get:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: File `utdiss2.sty' not found.
>
> I have spent several hours looking online to see if I am putting the files
> in the wrong directory or if there is an additional step I need to perform
> in order to make TeXworks recognize the file. I've come up empty (I've
> tried putting the file in numerous places and still get the same result). I
> tried to run texhash using Terminal, but when I ran "sudo texhash" I got
> the reply "command not found."
>
> Any suggestions? My apologies for most likely missing something obvious.
> I've been using XeLaTeX for only a few months now.
>
> Thanks,
> Malcolm

Howdy,

Did you run

sudo mktexlsr

(and give your admin password) after installing the file?

Also, you shouldn't really be putting things in that branch of the texmf tree but rather your personal branch of the tree which starts at ~/Library/texmf (for TeX Live installed with the MacTeX installer) where ~/Library/ is the Library directory in your HOME directory. If you've never placed anything there before you'll actually have to create the texmf directory in ~/Library/ and then the proper sub-directory structure. You don't really need the `base'. You don't have to run the mktexlsr command if you place it in your personal texmf tree.

Another proper location is in the texmf-local tree which starts at /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local and you should place it in the proper sub-directory (again, you may have to create the structure) there. If you placae the file there you will need to run the mktexlsr command as given in the first paragraph.

The difference between the two locations is that items placed in your personal texmf tree are available only to you personally while items placed in the texmf-local tree are available to anyone who can log onto your computer.

In general nothing should be placed in the /usr/local/texlive/2011/ folder. One advantage of placing you files into the texmf-local or personal texmf tree is that they will automatically be available if you later update to MacTeX-2012 (TeX Live 2012) when it comes out.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)