[XeTeX] XeTeX, XeTeXpicfile, and transparency

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Fri Mar 16 17:17:35 CET 2012

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 16.3.2012 um 14:28 schrieb Philip TAYLOR:
>
>> Universe of Discourse : Plain XeTeX (as stated previously).
>
> I don't know what this is meant to express,

That I use XeTeX; I do not use XeLaTeX, ConTeXt or any other
higher-level interface.  I use the raw engine, with Knuth's
plain format, and thus any solution that is predicated on the
use of (e.g.,) "fontspec", "LaTeX", "XeLaTeX", "ConTeXt", and
so on, cannot be of use to me in my quest.

> It's also possible to prepare the image that it itself becomes
> transparent.

Yes, I have been experimenting with this, but a native
(XeTeX) solution would be preferable ...

> Another option is to insert the picture transparently as the
> background. The pdfTeX engine supports this via a few LaTeX
> packages.

That would be useful, were it it not for the dependency
on LaTeX and LaTeX packages.

** Phil.