[XeTeX] List of ligatures in a font

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Mar 14 21:17:42 CET 2012

Am 14.3.2012 um 17:32 schrieb d fulano:

> But this is exactly my question:: how do I determine what are the "standard ligatures" in a font?

Then see which ligatures are defined by the Unicode consortium in the recent release, version 6. Knowing the names and the code points of these ligatures you can check for a few hundred glyphs in the 256 K or such defined slots.

You can also determine the names of the glyphs in a font outside of XeTeX and check for example for the three characters "lig" or "LIG" or "Lig", or in even more variations, in their names. Likely you'll find a few more. And some can have names like "ufb03" or "afii57718". This is due to the freedom of font design and being also able to offer substitutions for a series of contiguous characters by one ligature glyph from the font – but not anywhere in a word. These subtleties can be documented, some can be found out by dumping the contents of tables or checking the features of a font.

FontForge can be your friend. It has a scripting engine. And this one understands Python. XeTeX is in this regard not much elaborated, LuaTeX can have more to offer.

--
Greetings

  Pete

No man was ever taken to hell by a woman unless he already had a ticket in his pocket, or at least had been fooling around with timetables.
				– Archie Goodwin