[XeTeX] Problem with Sanskrit2003 and XeTeX

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Jun 11 17:52:13 CEST 2012

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 16:09:10 +0200, <hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> The conjunct consonant trya when printed with the font Sanskrit 2003
> is not correct (त्र्य), although the correct form is produced by
> simply changing to the "Nakula"-font. (The appended document contains
> all the files.)
>
> Now Sanskrit 2003 contains the correct ligature on position U+e11c.

U+E11C is in the Private Use area of Unicode, which seems to me just
silly.  It's no wonder XeTeX doesn't find it.

I don't know whether XeTeX has a mechanism to use a character in the PU
area in place of an expected ligature encoding.  Maybe someone else on this
list knows.

   Mike Maxwell
   University of Maryland