[XeTeX] Extraneous comma shows conflict between memoir and xecjk package?

jon jon at newkanji.com
Thu Jun 7 06:54:57 CEST 2012

Thanks, Qing Lee.

> \ExplSyntaxOn
> \cs_set_nopar:Nn \xeCJK_default_kern:
>    { \tex_kern:D -6 sp  \tex_kern:D 6 sp }
> \ExplSyntaxOff

Adding your code to my preamble worked fine.

There are about one hundred footnotes most of which contain Chinese, and
there are a couple pf dozen short strings of Chinese in the body text.
For this I probably don't need xecjk. There is also a 13-page appendix
that is completely in Chinese that benefits from the use of xecjk. And
the next book will be a dual language edition where the use of xecjk
will be required, I think.

Again, thank you for this solution and for your work on xecjk. Very helpful.

Jon

On 06/06/2012 06:01 PM, Qing Lee wrote:
> Hello Jon,
>
> 2012/6/7 jon<jon at newkanji.com>:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> After switching to Tex Live 2012/Debian, upon compiling my book,  an
>> extraneous comma is inserted into the body text directly before every
>> footnote number.
>>
>> THE BAD
>> The following does not produce expected results. There is an *extraneous
>> comma* (or superscripted comma) inserted  into the body text directly before
>> every footnote number.
>>
>> \documentclass[12pt]{memoir}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text,Numbers=OldStyle]{Linux Libertine O}

\usepackage{xeCJK}
>> \setCJKmainfont[]{AR PL UKai TW}
>> \begin{document}
>> But if I don't ``\emph{See through it and let it
>> go},"\footnote{看得破,放得下。\emph{Kàn de pò, fàng de xià}.} the karma will carry
>> forward....
>> \end{document}
> Sorry about that. This problem is caused by a new version of the xeCJK
> in TL2012. We didn't notice this issue. You can temporarily use the
> following means to deal with this problem.
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{memoir}
> \usepackage{xeCJK}
> \ExplSyntaxOn
> \cs_set_nopar:Nn \xeCJK_default_kern:
>    { \tex_kern:D -6 sp  \tex_kern:D 6 sp }
> \ExplSyntaxOff
> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text,Numbers=OldStyle]{Linux Libertine O}
> \setCJKmainfont{AR PL UKai TW}
> \begin{document}
> But if he doesn't ``\emph{See through it and let it
> go},"\footnote{看得破,放得下。\emph{Kàn de pò, fàng de xià}.} the karma will
> carry forward....
> \end{document}
>
> If you use only a small amount of Chinese materials or you do not mind
> the loss of he special progress for Chinese punctuations and spacing,
> you don't need xeCJK package. In this case, you can directly use
> fontspec to select the Chinese fonts. It is very suitable for
> temporaryly typesetting a few Chinese words.
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{memoir}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \XeTeXlinebreaklocale "zh"
> \XeTeXlinebreakskip = 0pt plus 1pt minus 0.1pt
> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text,Numbers=OldStyle]{Linux Libertine O}
> \newfontfamily\arplukai{AR PL UKai TW}
> \newcommand\textchinese[1]{{\arplukai #1}}
> \begin{document}
> But if he doesn't ``\emph{See through it and let it
> go},"\footnote{\textchinese{看得破,放得下。}\emph{Kàn de pò, fàng de xià}.}
> the karma will carry forward....
> \end{document}
>
> Best
> Qing Lee