[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 31 15:54:29 CEST 2012

On 31/7/12 14:36, mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2012, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> On 31/7/12 13:26, mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:
>>> There's the rub.  Non-Latin scripts are a big part of the constituency of
>>> XeTeX.  I routinely have to manually activate Korean-specific OpenType
>>> features that are specified to be default but that XeTeX/fontspec doesn't
>>> activate by default, just to get acceptable output in Korean at all.
>>
>> Which specific features are you referring to here? Maybe we can get this
>> improved...
>
> ccmp - glyph (de)composition; and ljmo, vjmo, and tjmo - lead, vowel, and
> tail jamo shaping.  It's possible that ccmp may already be default, and my
> own application doesn't actually need tjmo, but both should be turned on
> for Korean when available.

Hmm, I thought these would be active if you set "script=hang" (plain
xetex) or [Script=Hangul] (xelatex+fontspec) in the font declaration.
But on taking a quick look at the code in XeTeXOTLayoutEngine.cpp, I
think it's broken: it incorrectly sends Hangul to the same code path as
Han. :( Sorry - that's a bug!