[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 13:32:31 CEST 2012

2012/7/31 Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de>:
>> For very good reason! "\pdfminorversion" is not only some monadic number, it's also a guarantee that this document conforms to a particular standard.
>
> Not really. In pdfTeX the version enables certain features (object
> streams, png inclusion).
> But no guarantee is made for included pdfs: At most you will get a
> warning in stderr
> (if you include a higher pdf version than the main document).

That's what I mean. If an author of a TeX document knows that the PDF
must be in version 1.3, then for pdftex it can be set by
\pdfminorversion=3 and pdftex will not only set this number in the
header but disable certain features not allowed in v.1.3. If the same
should be done in XeTeX, there is no way how to do it from the TeX
source code, it is necessary (for someone who fill prepare PDF,
possibly not the author) to read the whole source text and look,
whether there is a comment that specifies output as PDF 1.3, and if
so, call xdvipdfmx with -V 3. Thus the source text cannot contain
machine readable instructions for its processing. It would be better
if the same information as "-V 3" could also be sent via a special.

> Best
>    Martin

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/