[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 31 01:47:26 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:57:16AM +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 31.07.2012 um 00:40 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
>
> > 4. Setting PDF version: does XeTeX support \pdfminorversion and does
> > it send a proper command to the xdv->pdf driver? I have not found such
> > feature in the dvipdfmx manual.
>
> XeTeX cannot because it produces XDV, but xdvipdfmx (invoke it with
> --help) can. Within limits.

It would be as easy as adding \specials, both for the XeTeX side
and for xdvipdfmx.

Also settings for compression level, object stream compression, ...
would be useful.

Example to generate uncompressed PDF:
  xe(la)tex --output-driver="xdvipdfmx -V4 -z0"

But the most annyouning bug is the broken/crappy/unspecified interface
to transfer binary bytes to PDF output structures.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek