[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 01:19:03 CEST 2012

2012/7/31 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de>:

> Am 31.07.2012 um 00:40 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
>
>> 4. Setting PDF version: does XeTeX support \pdfminorversion and does
>> it send a proper command to the xdv->pdf driver? I have not found such
>> feature in the dvipdfmx manual.
>
> XeTeX cannot because it produces XDV, but xdvipdfmx (invoke it with --help) can. Within limits.

Yes, I know. Similarly as XeTeX can set \pdfpageheight and
\pdfpagewidth (or use \special{papersize=...}) there might be a
similar \special for setting PDF version and compression but such
\special's do not exist. It is more difficult to create PDF/X
compliant file because I have to create XDV and then specify the PDF
version when calling xdvipdfmx but pdftex can set it directly. The
same problem appears with LaTeX + dvips. These are cases when LaTeX
does not help, usage is engine specific.

> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start selling vacuum cleaners.
>                                 - Ernest Jan Plugge

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz