[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Mon Jul 30 23:12:45 CEST 2012

Zdenek Wagner wrote:

> If only Unicode support and access to system fonts are concerned, a
> replacement already exists, namely luatex.

I have held back from experimenting with LuaTeX because I have
been led to believe, from this list and elsewhere, that LuaTeX
and XeTeX are not in 1:1 correspondence in terms of the syntax
and semantics of some non-Lua-related features.  Are you able
to comment on this from a position of knowledge ?  Or, from the
converse perspective, would you be able to assure me and others
that all extant XeTeX code will execute in LuaTeX without error
and produce a PDF that is visually indistinguishable from the
PDF that XeTeX would produce using the same source ?

Philip Taylor