[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Jul 30 20:51:12 CEST 2012

On Jul 30, 2012, at 11:35 AM, Richard Koch wrote:

> This worries me as well, since A LOT of people use XeTeX for production level
> work. On the Macintosh, XeTeX uses a deprecated font library which Apple
> never converted to 64 bits. The latest documentation from Apple says that this library
> will be removed entirely in "a future system." That's scary for such a central
> component of the TeX distribution.

I guess AAT/ATSUI is only used even when not using the xdv2pdf back-end to load fonts --- wouldn't one be able to compile it for Mac OS X using the settings / options for Linux so that while one wouldn't be able to easily access system fonts, one would be able to access fonts by file reference, or to use those fonts which are available to xquartz?

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer