[XeTeX] Can't compile Chinese in Mountain Lion OS X

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jul 29 14:34:48 CEST 2012

On Jul 29, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Alan Hoenig wrote:

> [...]
> \def\testfontii{Kaiti SC Bold}% a `small' font; 8535 characters
> \font\1 = "\testfonti" at 10pt
> \font\2 = "\testfontii" at 10pt
>
> This is a test. One: {\1 仁} % Line A (calls large Chinese font)
>
> This is a test. Two: % {\2 仁} % Line B (calls small Chinese font)
>
> \bye
> %%% End of test file
>
> Here's what happens.  Comment out the call to the large Chinese font in
> Line A, and the file compiles/displays properly.  Uncomment Line A, and the
> perplexing error messages appear.  Here is a copy of TeXShop's console
> display:
>
> This is XeTeXk, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.6 (Web2C 7.5.7)
>
> %&-line parsing enabled.
>
> entering extended mode
>
> (./chitest.tex [1]
>
> ** WARNING ** Unable to read OpenType/TrueType Unicode cmap table.
>
> ** WARNING ** Failed to load ToUnicode CMap for font "STKaiti"
>
> ** ERROR ** Invalid glyph index (gid 13384)
>

> Output file removed.
>
> )
>
> Error 256 (driver return code) generating output;
>
> file chitest.pdf may not be valid.
>
> Transcript written on chitest.log.
>
> I'm running Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8) on my Mac Mini, using TeXShop 3.11
> which calls XeTeX Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.6 (Web2C 7.5.7).  A font
> called `STKaiti' was present on OSX10.7; I don't know if it is the same as
> the one currently part of 10.8.  I think    'Kaiti SC Bold' is a Chinese
> font new to 10.8.
>
> Any insight you can provide will put me in your debt FOREVER!  Thanks...
>
> ---Alan
>
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>wrote:
>

>> On Jul 28, 2012, at 10:16 AM, Alan Hoenig <ezchinesey at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I use TeXShop (v3.11) to run XeTeX on a Mac Mini.  A large book project
>>> containing Chinese suddenly failed to compile with the message
>>>
>>> ** WARNING ** Unable to read OpenType/TrueType Unicode cmap table.
>>>
>>> ** WARNING ** Failed to load ToUnicode CMap for font "STKaiti"
>>>
>>> ** ERROR ** Invalid glyph index (gid 13383)
>>>
>>> Output file removed.
>>>
>>> Error 256 (driver return code) generating output;
>>>
>>> file chitest.pdf may not be valid.
>>>

>>> Just before this problem appeared, I upgraded the OS to Mac OSX 10.8,
>>> Mountain Lion.  (The upgrade includes several new Chinese fonts, which is
>>> why I was anxious for the upgrade.)
>>>
>>> I used a test file to reproduce the error, which doesn't seem to occur if
>>> the font contains a modest number of glyphs, say a few thousand or less.
>>> It is a problem for large fonts (like STKaiti) with more than 32k
>>> characters.
>>>
>>> Can anyone shed light on this situation, and what to do to about it?
>> Many
>>> thanks...
>>>
>>> ---Alan Hoenig
>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Could you supply a sample file that shows the problem so we can try it on

Howdy,

Hmmm... I've installed Mountain Lion on a MacBook Air. I'm using TeX Live 2012 (obtained via MacTeX). I have no problem compiling with xetex with both lines un-commented. My console output contains

This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-0.9998 (TeX Live 2012)

which means that you are using an old version of xetex.

I suggest updating to MacTeX-2012 which you can get at <http://www.tug.org/mactex/>.