[XeTeX] making ucharclasses "really" free, but there's some contributed code that doesn't work, which I don't understand =)

Mike "Pomax" Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Mon Jul 23 14:07:58 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I'm changing the ucharclasses license from "free, but please run
modifications through me, because then we don't get a million versions"
to "free, and I stopped caring" so it can go into TeX Live, etc.

At the same time I figured I'd switch the code over to some code
contributed by Enrico Gregorio a while back, which is really clever and
a lot faster, except... it doesn't work. And the code is clever enough
for me to not quite understand where it breaks down =D

Would anyone be willing to have a look at
https://github.com/pomax/ucharclasses/tree/2.0c to see why interchar
transition rules either never get bound, or just never fire? xelatex
will happily use the .sty code, without throwing any errors, so there's
nothing that I can immediately point a finger at and go "aha! this is
where things break down". And I still suck at reading plain TeX...

(There's a minimal test.tex in the branch that demonstrates that it
doesn't work, for convenience)

To anyone willing to give debugging a shot: you are a hero.

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans