[XeTeX] OpenType and Character variants

Lorna Priest Lorna_Priest at sil.org
Tue Jul 17 18:58:07 CEST 2012

Can someone give me the proper incantation to access Character variants
(cv01, cv44, etc)? (I'm not using fontspec, just XeTeX) .

Currently, I have:

\def\testSS#1{

\font\x="#1" at 14pt \x

This shows the font “#1”. \SStext\par}

\def\testCV#1{

\font\x="#1" at 21pt \x

This shows the font “#1”. \CVtext\par}

\def\SStext{Flying Dogstarman}

\def\CVtext{\beginR ممم م ݦݦݦ ݦ ݥݥݥ ݥ م ممم\endR}

\testSS{Gabriola:+ss06}

\testCV{Scheherazade:script=arab:+cv44=1}

The Stylistic Sets in Gabriola are displaying properly. We've added
Character Variants (as cvxx) to Scheherazade and are trying to test them
in XeTeX (they do work in the new version of Firefox so I'm sure they
are implemented correctly, I just can't figure out what to type to get
them in XeTeX.

I've tried "+cv44", "+cv44=0", "+cv44=1", "+cv44,1" and none of those
work. What am I missing?

Lorna